Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Occidental Fools Parade!

The day started early, with a distinct lack of proper sleep. I got up and started to put the finishing touches on my hair. Mark made me a cup of Maté. All of a sudden Ed was there, in his space suit with a cape, and it was time to get dressed and go! I tied on the beautiful yarn falls I had made and did a sort of slap-dash makeup job, which looked pretty good considering. I will post a picture soon! As Ed & Mark sped to Occidental, I went into Sebastopol to pick up Ted, who emerged from his house with one of his large copper sculptures tied to his head and holding aloft his fantastic copper staffs.
We arrived in Occidental just as the parade was beginning, led by a troop of morris dancers in very silly get-ups. We joined Mark & Ed.
Mark was wearing his precious loud plaid jacket and marvellously clashing accessories, and swim trunks. He had on his head a curly rainbow wig and bowler hat crammed on top. Proffering a bouquet of pink flowers he lunged down the parade route, surrounded at times by groups of appreciative women. He received a citation for being too mushy when he kneeled, presented me with the flowers, and I gave him a bunch of kisses. For some reason I was not cited. ???
So many great fools were there, it is hard to describe them all. The clown who started Silly Day many years ago was there, in a beautiful vintage hippie patchwork clown suit, impeccable clown makeup, playing his accordion. Our gang gravitated to the dulcet tones and we joined in with the silly singing! Later he was apparently crowned King of the Fools!
I enjoyed playing with the fool who was on the phone to tech support, we gave her all kinds of silly advice, like, open your computer case and fill it with jelly! I didn't really say that exactly, but it was in that vein.
Really enjoyed Brino Ism and his pals, but he made my camera battery run down when I took his picture. Briiiino! O no!!!
Jeff looked amazing in his mirrored mask covered with broken mirror bits and the silver ram's horns. My favorite part of his outfit was the tight pink hologram pants. aaaaOOOOga! He was later crowned the Duke of Debauchery. I wonder why?
So we marched up one side of the long parking lot that runs the length of Occidental (about three blocks). When we reached the end, we milled about in the middle of the intersection for a while. I really enjoyed the milling! Then the Apple Tree Morris group, (our pals!) lined up behind a big arch of flowers, and created an archway with their long green foam tubes (water worms) that we all danced under. It was hard to see and hear the crowning of the royalty, but I did some more milling about and picture posing.
Kim Atkinson and his group of samba drummers got a rhythm going later and many fools danced about. Some big video cameras were set up, and the manyt natural hams present gravitated to the front of them. I especially applaud the beautiful stilt-walker who stayed aloft for hours! Ted went wild with his swivel-hips dance!
Later Ted, Ed, Mark & I went to get a bit to eat at Howards Station Café. We were forced to sit outside as our head gear was too large for indoors. It was very jolly, with many fools and near-fools stopping by! It is so great to bring big smiles to peoples faces. I bet most of the regular people there that day didn't know what hit them, but they seemed to really enjoy it, whatever it was!
Later, back at home, I put on some very silly music and we all danced around in the sun like fools!
If anyone has any pictures, please send them to me and I will add some pix to this blog!
And a hearty Thank You to Katryn Price for her vision and hard work in creating the Fools Parade! And thanks to all the other folks who helped out. You are appreciated!
As I always say: Silliness is Next to Godliness!!!

Silly Blessings to all!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn Price NicDhàna said...

Whoa. You have a friend named Katryn Price?!

I know it's a common name among the Welsh and Welsh Diaspora, but to have two of us as friends...

Kathryn

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home